6 Threads
3 Years
Male
Endomorph
Di

Hakon

IN RESTLESS DREAMS I WALKED ALONE

NARROW STREETS OF COBBLESTONE

The yellow still had not gone away. It stayed resolutely in his fur the way no other stain had; it refused to come off even when he dunked himself in rivers and rolled around in dirt. He was absolutely filthy now, and the yellow still remained as bright and resilient as ever, a clear golden finch color that seemed impenetrable and impermeable. The burning sensations had stopped, thankfully, but now he was faced with the truth of it. He had yellow stripes down both sides of his body. They weren't going away. It was going to be like this forever.

He arrived at the desert as the sun began to rise. He stood at the top of a sandy hill, staring down at the quickly baking sand below him. He thought a lot about how he had always assumed things were normal and how the world only worked in one way. He thought about how he had spontaneously developed yellow on his flank just a day or two prior. He thought about how everything he knew could be a lie and maybe this was why there were no packs in these lands, because what if they were cursed, what if they were poisoning them all and doing this to them. And then he thought that was stupid. And then he realized he'd been traveling for over 48 hours nonstop without sleep, and he thought about how tired he was and how nice the sun felt against his skin.

And then he didn't think anything else, because the rising heat in the desert had caused his bodily levels to plummet, and it was aided by the recent stress in his life and the complete disbelief he felt, and he'd collapsed straight down in a heap on the ground, yellow streaks and all, completely unconscious.

"speak"

DESIGNED BY DI FOR CHRYSALIS

Quest
150 Posts
10 Threads
2 Years
Male
Ectomorph
Plymouth

Quest

It was hot, hotter than he could ever remember it being. All he wanted was to go back to the Temperate Mountains where it was a bit cooler than this... Man, who knew it could be like this in mid-autumn? He padded along, tongue lolling out and the two tails he now carried feeling like dead-weights in the heat. He just had to keep on walking and not stop for anything because stopping would be a death sentence.

Just keep walking... and walking... and walking, walking. Think about the Salmon River and all that tasty water you can drink.

That was what he focused on, pumping his legs forward by sheer force of willpower and want. That is... until he saw a dark lump in his path. His head raised high and tilted to the side as he studied it. Was it a mirage? A small bear? Upon further observation he saw that it was neither of those things but living breathing wolf. Or rather, it wouldn't be breathing for long if he didn't do something about it.

Both of his seafoam eyes opened wide in shock as he momentarily forgot about preserving his strength and instead bolted forward to the stranger's side. "Hey! Get up! Wake up, guy! You can't sleep here!" Not caring about whether the creature would be hostile upon awakening he began to nudge and paw at the other canid in hopes to rouse him. "You're gonna die out here!"

He lifted his head up again and looked around, searching for anywhere that he could drag the other wolf. Upon a quick once-over he saw what looked like a burrow a few yards away. Whether it was occupied or large enough for them he didn't have a clue yet but he would worry about that in a moment.

Once again he began to paw and nudge at the other wolf, attempting to rouse him into wakefulness. "C'mon, c'mon, c'mon!"

323| Hakon | notes

"I Speak!"
I Think...

Background by Fantasy Stock
Table by Plymouth
[Image: Cheeky_Quest_bust.png]
by savage <3
64 Posts
6 Threads
3 Years
Male
Endomorph
Di

Hakon

His mind was a blank slate, wiped blissfully clean by unconsciousness, allowing him a momentary reprieve from the confusion and the wrongness he was experiencing with his yellow marks. But somewhere outside this realm, there was suddenly a voice. Dim, surely, but it was there. "Hey! Get up! Wake up, guy! You can't sleep here!" Hakon became aware slowly that he was being nudged, though it was in a placid part of his brain that seemed to accept this knowledge with pleasantry and then file it away to be thought about later. "You're gonna die out here!"

This began to rouse him. The thought of dying in this place was simply unbearable, knowing how hard he had struggled to survive -- how he had been cursed to survive. This jarring memory caused him to open his eyes and become aware of the fact that he was being prodded incessantly by someone who was talking again: "C'mon, c'mon, c'mon!" Hakon's gray eyes fluttered upwards to see the form of a wolf with his back to the sun, his face in shadow. It took Hakon a moment to realize it was a wolf with long, long fur on his head, and feathers sticking out of his face and neck. Hakon felt a groan roll up his chest and release from his maw in a somewhat sick rumble. Not more.

As consciousness took root, Hakon struggled upright, realizing then that the sun had baked his skin hot and that his mouth was almost painfully dry. How long had he been there in the sand? He couldn't remmeber. He stood and was glad to see that his resolute determination made him not sway. He looked more fully at the other wolf, squinting in the light, and saw that his whole body was covered sparsely with feathers -- and that, when he switched his tail, there was not just one. There were two. Hakon let out another groan and stumbled forward a little, his mind wildly trying to make sense of this, his body not reacting well to another dose of shock. "Why..." he began, his usually deep, grumbling voice almost weak. "What is this place?" He changed his question and then refocused his gaze on the feathered, long-furred, two-tailed wolf in front of him.

"speak"

Quest
150 Posts
10 Threads
2 Years
Male
Ectomorph
Plymouth

Quest

First his nudging seemed to be doing nothing and he wondered briefly if he would have to pick the fellow up and head off to that burrow. However, it seemed that his nudging seemed to have done the trick as the large fellow started to stir into wakefulness. "That's it! Come on, big guy." He said, trying to sound encouraging. The fellow rose to his paws, standing strong despite the danger he'd just been in. Quest gave him a once over, noting the way he seemed to stumble forward briefly.

He shot forward, moving to stand at the brown wolf's side and offer him support if he needed it. His voice, when he spoke, sounded weak and it worried the feathered canine a bit and sent his eyes back over to that burrow. "Your grave if we don't get you somewhere safe." Half joke and half serious, he turned to the male with concern in his gaze. "Can you walk? There's a place with some shade over there where you can rest for a bit." But afterwards they should probably get moving. He knew of deserts and he knew of the tricks they played on the body. The sooner they were out of here the better.

He was poised, ready to lead the other to the burrow if that's the course he wanted to take. If not it would be a long walk with him to try and get out of this place... But he was willing to do it.

250| Hakon | notes

"I Speak!"
I Think...

Table by Plymouth
by savage <3
64 Posts
6 Threads
3 Years
Male
Endomorph
Di

Hakon

"That's it! Come on, big guy." Hakon squinted at the male in front of him. When he stumbled, the other male moved forward to provide a pillar of strength against him -- a kindness Hakon did not know what to do with. "Your grave if we don't get you somewhere safe." The male's eyes were full of concern and had the same general compassion that he had experienced with Embryn when she had asked him to take a bath. Helping a stranger for the sake of helping them -- teasing a little along the way, of course. Hakon did not know what to say. "Can you walk? There's a place with some shade over there where you can rest for a bit." Hakon followed his gaze and took a breath. He nodded. He could get there, and it was better than staying here with the male jabbering in his ear the whole time.

He began to walk, and together they made their way towards the shade. Each step reminded him that he was very weak, and he was not sure if it was because of shock or dehydration. Probably a mix of both. When the shade blessedly covered his fur, he lurched away from the stranger and tried to sit down with as much dignity as possible. His legs were shaking a little and he hoped the other wolf would not notice. The shade allowed Hakon's eyes to properly focus on the stranger, who was still just as mutated and feathery as before. But he'd also helped him. "Thanks," he mumbled gruffly, hating the position he had put himself in. He instinctually did not like accepting help from others. He felt like he owed them.

"First Embryn and the bath, now this..." he muttered under his breath. Then he shook his head and looked out into the desert. "First time I've been out here," he said, almost to himself. Then he looked back. "First time I've seen a wolf with feathers." The words sounded strange. They stuck in his mouth like molasses. "And I'm..." He struggled for the word. 'Yellow' seemed too painful.

"speak"

Quest
150 Posts
10 Threads
2 Years
Male
Ectomorph
Plymouth

Quest

They made it to the small little alcove where the other male could rest for a bit. The brown one settled himself a little distance away and Quest eyed him warily to make sure he didn't collapse once more or take another turn for the worse. If he noticed the shaking legs he didn't mention it and instead focused on his words. "No problem! I don't exactly find fun in leaving others out to die. There are other ways to entertain oneself." He let out a small laugh, trying to ease the situation.

Of course, there was genuine interest there when the male mentioned his friend's name. His eyes opened wide in interest and his ears perked forward. "Embryn?! You know Embryn? That's my friend! How do you know her?" Common ground, a mutual friend, it was a great feeling that one of his friends new someone that he now had crossed paths with. "I'm one of a kind! Don't think I've ever noticed another wolf with feathers before, or two tails." He chuckled before looking over the other once more. He hadn't noticed or perhaps hadn't consciously paid attention but he saw that this one had yellow marks over both sides of his body. An interesting color that he hadn't seen before... but it was worth noting.

"Do most wolves in your family have yellow markings like that?" His mane hadn't exactly been extreme when it came to mutations but he knew that it was, perhaps this was a similar thing. Something not too extreme but not a native marking to the wolf's body.

265| Hakon | notes

"I Speak!"
I Think...

Table by Plymouth
by savage <3
64 Posts
6 Threads
3 Years
Male
Endomorph
Di

Hakon

"No problem! I don't exactly find fun in leaving others out to die. There are other ways to entertain oneself." Hakon looked back at him with an expression mingled between surprise and exasperation. He was finding that this wolf was hard to shake, and even harder to stay grumpy at, though Hakon would try his best. They sat for a while as Hakon grumbled under his breath about Embyrn, but when he did so he elicited an excited expression in the nameless other -- so much so that Hakon figured there had to be some recognition there. "Embryn?! You know Embryn? That's my friend! How do you know her?"

Hakon nodded once. "First one I met here," he acknowledged. "Stubborn. Talked more than enough for the both of us. Haven't seen her in a while." He waited for a long time now, to draw out the pause, to make it look like he wasn't too interested. But as in the case of Capricornus, Embryn had made some kind of impression on him. At the very least, the thought of her wandering alone in these dangerous lands made his instincts tense up. "She okay?"

"I'm one of a kind! Don't think I've ever noticed another wolf with feathers before, or two tails." He grunted. He could believe that. "Do most wolves in your family have yellow markings like that?" Hakon's eyes narrowed. "No, they do not," he said almost sharply. He regretted it afterwards and looked away, grinding his teeth together. "I got them at the same time this other bloke turned red right before my eyes." He stared moodily for a second before he turned back, and this time there was something genuinely fearful almost in his eyes. "Why is this happening? It clearly happens to you a lot. Why?"

"speak"

Quest
150 Posts
10 Threads
2 Years
Male
Ectomorph
Plymouth

Quest

Oh yeah, that was definitely his Embryn alright! The brown and russet male laughed, pleased at this shared friend. "Yup, that's definitely her!" He wondered if the other male would be interested in seeing her again. He didn't exactly know what this other's opinion of her was... perhaps he should ask? Perhaps he should just let it be? He might be happy to hear that the fiery lady was alive and alright through the mess that was Khrusos. He didn't have to ponder long on what he should or shouldn't answer but after a bit the yellow-marked male asked if she was okay. "Oh yeah, I see her quite a lot nowadays. Helps when you're planning to start a together." He gave a conspiratorial wink. The offer for more questions about the pack was always open though somehow he figured this one was more of a loner, he didn't seem the super talkative type anyway.

When the conversation turned back to the fellow's marks it seemed to him like it was a touchy subject. He snapped his answer, saying that it wasn't something that ran in the family. Quest winced at the tone and didn't say anything further, he knew when to drop something. After the other male turned away though he elaborated, Quest was all ears for this because he was wondering about the strange mutations himself.Quest mused over the information, wondering what could possibly make them turn colors. Location? Or something else? Hmmm...

Fear, that's what was in this other male's eyes when he turned back around. Unlike him, or Embryn, or Kalasyn this mutation thing scared him. He couldn't say that he blamed him, it could be scary once you actually stopped to think about it. Unfortunately the only thing Quest could offer was a shrug. He didn't know the answer either and hoped nothing truly drastic happened. "I'm sorry... me and my friends are trying to figure it out but we've been coming up on blanks. All I can think of is maybe it has something to do with what you were doing, or where you were." It was all that he could offer. "Even so it's not really hurting us, in any way. We just look different but we're the same on the inside." And that's the part of them that really mattered. At least that was how they thought, change how you look on the outside and it didn't matter. How you behaved was the true thing that did matter.

416| Hakon | notes

"I Speak!"
I Think...

Table by Plymouth
by savage <3
64 Posts
6 Threads
3 Years
Male
Endomorph
Di

Hakon

"Yup, that's definitely her!" Hakon was relieved to know that Embryn had met some other friends that she could hopefully annoy -- er, spend more time with -- other than him. He was just not cut out for that sort of thing. "Oh yeah, I see her quite a lot nowadays. Helps when you're planning to start a pack together." Hakon's silver eyes widened slightly. "A pack?" he asked almost sharply in surprise. Well... It made sense. Embryn was quite the social butterfly, and this male seemed to be as well. It was about time this place had a group of wolves on it who stuck together, not all of these loners roaming around like him. It was unnatural.

Their conversation turned to mutations, and Hakon had little success in hiding the anger in his voice -- an anger that stemmed, mostly, from confusion and fear. The other wolf seemed unperturbed, offering only a shrug to Hakon's questions. "I'm sorry... me and my friends are trying to figure it out but we've been coming up on blanks. All I can think of is maybe it has something to do with what you were doing, or where you were." It was a smart analysis going off of what they had -- which was nothing. Hakon ground his teeth together in frustration. "Even so it's not really hurting us, in any way. We just look different but we're the same on the inside." Hakon offered a non-commital grunt.

He realized then that they had never introduced themselves, that he had never gotten this friend of Embryn's name. "Hakon," he introduced himself shortly. Then, after a long pause, he said, "You did me a great service today. If you're leading the pack, it will be a good one." It was the height of compliments coming from him, even though it was delivered in a gruff tone. He was indebted to the man before him, tails and feathers and all.

"speak"

Quest
150 Posts
10 Threads
2 Years
Male
Ectomorph
Plymouth

Quest

The other male's sharp tone had him turning his head with ears perked in curiosity. Was he upset? Or was it simply surprise? His head cocked to the side, he would assume the latter. Every wolf had the desire deep within themselves, the want to run with others that were similar to yourself. "Yup!" He answered simply and cheerfully. "You're welcome to join if you want!" He offered but sure it would be declined. Something told him that this guy was a bit more of a loner than he or his friends.

His explanation to what he and his friends thought was happening didn't seem to get much of a pleased response. He couldn't really blame the fellow and offered him a sympathetic glance. He had only gotten a couple of yellow stripes out of the land but it was still different from what he was used to. It was as if something foreign and strange had randomly decided to tamper with your very being. He could sympathize one hundred percent with the large male. He wanted to offer more but he couldn't... There were no more reasons to give and nothing he could say past what he had that would make it better. So, they moved on...

"Quest!" The earth and fire wolf offered back to Hakon, pleased to be able to put a name to the face. He smiled before turning his head to look out towards the desert, pondering when would be an ideal time to try to help this fellow back out into a sensible location. Then, while he was thinking more words came from Hakon. First he'd simply tilted an ear in the fellow's direction but then his head turned fully with an expression of surprise.

The praise was unexpected and it warmed him from the inside out. He was obviously pleased and humbled by it, looking down at his forepaws and shuffling them against the ground. "Thanks... We're, uh, just gonna try our best. Y'know? And it won't just be me leading, anyhow..." It was his turn to be quiet for a little while as the warmth washed from him.
"Do you need anything? Water or food?" He didn't want to wander too far in case he got lost or something in this heat but he was sure he could find something.

It was absolutely lethal out there if he didn't keep his wits about him but he knew before too long sunset should roll around and by that time it should be cooling off and if they were quick they should be able to make it out safely.

435| Hakon | notes

"I Speak!"
I Think...

Table by Plymouth
by savage <3
64 Posts
6 Threads
3 Years
Male
Endomorph
Di

Hakon

"Yup! You're welcome to join if you want!" Hakon made a noncommittal grunt as a response. He was not a pack person--not since what had happened to the last one he had been a part of. He didn't think he could commit to something like that when it went against the very grain of who he had become. Still... If it was Embryn's pack, he'd like to know more. "What kinda pack?" he asked almost grudgingly, so that the male would know he was only gathering information and would not fall into the false hope that Hakon was interested. After some more exchange, he learned the wolf's name was Quest.

Quest wasn't expecting a thank you, and Hakon wasn't used to giving one. But he felt like the saving of a life warranted something like that. "Thanks... We're, uh, just gonna try our best. Y'know? And it won't just be me leading, anyhow..." Hakon nodded. "Do you need anything? Water or food?" "I'm fine for now," he said. "Sun should be setting soon." He did not know he was voicing Quest's own inner thoughts out loud. They would be able to leave this shelter and get out of the desert easily and quickly after the hot sun had disappeared from the sky. He really had nothing else to say, so he remained silent.

"speak"

I figure next round we can exit and assume the sun has set after Quest tells Hakon about the pack Smile
Quest
150 Posts
10 Threads
2 Years
Male
Ectomorph
Plymouth

Quest

Quest could from the sound of Hakon's words that he wasn't particularly enthusiastic to ask about the pack but perhaps he still wanted information. Maybe he'd end up passing the word around to more interested parties! Or maybe he'd end up joining later on... Either way, he was a book of information waiting to be opened. "A democratic one!" That was the right one, right? "A place where everyone is welcome no matter how they look and everyone gets a say, is what we hope to have. Something like... a family." That was right, right? It was what he hoped for in the end and knew that's what Embryn wanted as well.

Quest nodded in agreement with his words, glad they were thinking in the same direction.

Silence fell on the pair of them then as Quest stared out onto the horizon, watching as the sun made its descent. Before long it was time to go and he rose to his paws, a smile thrown casually back over his shoulder. "I guess that's our cue, eh?" He stepped out into the open, pleased to see that the temperature had cooled considerably. Hopefully he could make it back to a more reasonable place now and rest up for the next day. He eyed the other wolf keenly but it seemed as if he had recovered enough. "I'll see you around, Hakon!" And then he was off, walking off into the horizon until he was not but a retreating dot.

248| Hakon | -exit Quest- <3

"I Speak!"
I Think...

Table by Plymouth
by savage <3
64 Posts
6 Threads
3 Years
Male
Endomorph
Di

Hakon

"A democratic one!" Hakon's level gray gaze stayed steady on Quest's face, watching as he seemed to light up with enthusiasm about the new pack. Truthfully, it would be an interesting endeavor. It was the first pack Hakon had heard of in these lands -- maybe the first one it had ever held. It would be a daring endeavor, too. What if it failed? What if it didn't do what Quest clearly thought it could? However, Hakon had a hard time believing anything Embryn set her mind to would not succeed. She was focused and resilient, not to mention somewhat annoying and pestering. But he did like Embryn. He could not deny it. She was just likable. So he hoped, whatever happened, that it worked out for the best for her.

"A place where everyone is welcome no matter how they look and everyone gets a say, is what we hope to have. Something like... a family." Hakon made a small sound at the last word, but it was more a soft grunt that did not take the shape of any other words. He let the silence fall over them until, blessedly, the sun began to set. Hakon turned his gray eyes out onto the landscape that was rapidly cooling down. Quest stood up, and after a few moments Hakon did too, unfolding his limbs and following Quest's lead out into the cooler air. "I'll see you around, Hakon!" Hakon nodded. "Good luck," he offered gruffly, watching as the male darted away. After a little while Hakon went, too, though decidedly slower and more pondering.

-exeunt Hakon-

"speak"

Hosted by isoldehn. Powered by MyBB, © 2002-2018 MyBB Group.
Top 50 Wolf RPG Top 100 Wolf RPGs SVERIGE
Savagery RPG Aravae's Hollow
Meph: Wolf RPG
Hello, guest!
or Register?